Join our team!
Work with us and discover something wild! The Metro Richmond Zoo is a unique establishment with a well-trained professional staff. We accept applicants year round in a number of animal and non-animal related positions. Join our team!
- We accept all applications and may contact you if an opportunity rises.
Current Job Openings
The zoo is currently accepting applications to fill many Zoo Crew Member (non-animal care) positions. Zoo Crew Members focus on enhancing our guest experience by preparing, operating, and cleaning up the public access facilities at the Zoo. Cleaning bathrooms and picking up trash are vital tasks to keeping our facilities presentable. These facilities are divided into 6 Divisions:
Zoo Crew Member (non-animal care)
(Work in any one, or all of our 6 divisions)
- Guest Services
- Gift Shop
- Food Services
- Ride Operation
- Treetop Zoofari
Full zoo crew member job description
Clean exhibit windows and make new friends!
Sell daily tickets
Make smoothies and sell frozen bananas
Sell merchandise in the gift shop with a smile
Drive the train with a smile
Give the guests a sky high experience on our sky lift!
Operate the carousel with a smile
Clean up after our barnyard buddies each morning with a smile
Smile as you make new friends!
Plunge with a smile
Enjoy guests' smiles in our interactive budgie exhibit!
Keep the gardens fresh with a smile
Clean up time with a smile
Cruising through the zoo with a smile
Provide delicious food from the concession stand with a smile
Zip the zoo for morning maintenance checks with a smile
Treetop Zoofari harness training with a smile
Grounds keeping with a smile
Training guests at Treetop Zoofari with a smile
Clear the pathways each morning with a smile
Restock the gift shop shelves for the next guest with a smile
Prepare and serve food orders with a smile
The Metro Richmond Zoo currently has two intern positions available. These are both full-time, paid positions that would work 5 days a week/8 hours a day. The internships will last a minimum of 12 weeks and can be extended based on performance and availability.
Support the zoo by performing duties in the following departments:
Internship job description
Responsible for maintaining the physical grounds and guest’s access ways in the best light possible. Provides technical knowledge and insight to the health and development of our landscaping. Provide occasional leadership as situations arise.
A few of the required tasks include:
- Cutting grass, edging, trimming, and weeding
- Trimming bushes and trees as necessary and per their proper season
- Performing preventive maintenance and minor corrective maintenance on landscaping equipment
- Fertilizing, seeding, and watering
- Plan, budget, and propose new horticulture projects
Full Ground Worker job description
Assists the maintenance and project team with renovation and new exhibit construction. Fast paced hard working job. Very rewarding with the diversity of tasks and the on the job training opportunities.
A few of the required tasks include:
- Moves, secures, installs, builds, loads, or unloads materials.
- Performs some specialized tasks which may require on-the job training.
- Moving tools, equipment, or other material as directed by supervisor.
- Light building maintenance: changing filters, light bulbs, door handles, ballasts, ect
- Helping with exhibit construction and renovation
Laborer job description
- Retirement with company match
- Food and Merchandise discounts
- Free Tickets into the park
- Bonus potential
- Variable work tasks
- Work around animals
- Flexible schedule
- Day-Time hours (no nights)
- No Sundays required
- Fast paced; no dull moment
- Work outdoors and indoors
Metro Richmond Zoo is an equal opportunity employer.