|REPORTS TO:||Lead Zoo Keeper and Education Coordinator|
|PAY RATE:||Starting at $11.00|
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION: Accredited by the Zoological Association of America the Metro Richmond Zoo is known for providing exciting opportunities for guests to interact with the animals. The Metro Richmond Zoo’s mission is to promote animal conservation and inspire guests by providing up-close, educational encounters with the wild. The zoo is situated on 150 acres of land and is home to over 2,000 animals representing 190 species from around the world. The zoo is accredited by the Zoological Association of America and is well-known for its conservation programs for cheetahs, African penguins, and Diana monkeys. Since 2013, 77 cheetahs have been born at the zoo’s Cheetah Conservation Center. The zoo has an on-site animal hospital with a small pharmacy, surgery room, blood chemistry analyzer, and x-ray equipment.
The Metro Richmond Zoo currently has two intern positions available. These are both full-time, paid positions that would work 5 days a week/8 hours a day. The internships will last a minimum of 12 weeks and can be extended based on performance and availability. The zoo can assist interns with housing if needed. This is a combination keeper and education department internship. Interns will gain hands-on general husbandry skills while working alongside zookeepers. Interns will also participate in the zoo’s education programs learning how to present formal and informal public presentations to engage guests and provide a positive guest experience.
- Walk and stand for long periods of time
- Navigate zoo grounds with or without a vehicle
- Traverse animal exhibits by climbing, bending, kneeling, twisting, reaching, and crawling
- Regularly move 30 lb objects and occasionally move 50 lb objects
- Work outside in all weather conditions (extreme heat, cold, rain, snow, etc.)
- Must be able to communicate clearly and effectively in written and verbal forms
- Must be able to handle stressful situations calmly
- Must have great attention to detail
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team
- Must have intermediate computer skills (proficient in Microsoft Office and Google Drive)
- Full-time employment
- 40 hours a week, 5 days a week
- Must have the ability to work flexible hours, including weekdays, weekends, holidays, and evenings
Benefits and Perks
- Food and merchandise discounts
- Free admission into the park
- Variable work tasks
- Work with a variety of exotic animals
- Fast paced – never a dull moment
- Gain valuable work experience
- Potential to turn into a permanent position
Alcohol and Drug Testing:
Employees/interns may not arrive on duty under the influence of alcohol or drugs (prescription or otherwise). Because this position is a safety-sensitive position, employees/interns may be subject to random alcohol and drug testing.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties performed by the employee/intern. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.